Every iPad needs accessories. Getting the right iPad accessories is very similiar to finding the perfect pair of shoes, the perfect purse, and the perfect jewelry. All accessories are extremely personal and perfect is determined more by personality than practicality. Also, accessories need to be functional. The best pair of shoes look ridiculous sitting in the corner of the dance hall, and you look more ridiculous for not wearing any shoes. These are the accessories I can't live without.
1. iPad cover or protector --I have one that rotates so I can view in both landscape and letter. Some covers put the iPad to sleep with their magnetic clips, and others have apps designed for how they work (Evernote Peek).
2. iPad screen protector -- These are difficult to put on, so be sure you read the instructions first.
3. keyboard -- love mine and have been able to leave my laptop behind, but it is not a necessity unless you plan to create with your iPad.
4. iTunes gift card -- You can't even get the thing started without credit card info UNLESS you have an iTunes gift card which is what I would suggest if you plan to give it to your children.
5. HDMI connector cable. This allows you to mirror your iPad screen on a TV. You can rent movies from iTunes and share with the whole family OR teach a class using an iPad app.
There are a million and one choices within these accessories, but with Christmas coming, these are the things you might ask grandma and grandpa or aunts and uncles to include in their gifts for the children.
This looks like a good website for ideas. http://www.ipadaccessories.com/