Monday, August 29, 2011

No More FLASH DRIVES or CORDS!

I'm blogging from my cricket rocker in my very dark front living room. This space is so relaxing and this time of day is amazingly quiet. The only sound is a few crickets outside, and my fingers hitting the keyboard. I spend a lot of time in this space. One night about a month ago I could not sleep, so I came to this spot to clear my mind. I rocked in my chair, but school "things" kept going through my mind. I ended up being up until 2 a.m. for the next several nights figuring out an application called Evernote.

Evernote had been in the top 10 free apps, and I had read about it on the CESA 3 ITASC wiki, so I decided to download it. It had been on the iPad for about a month before it kept me up for hours. When I finally decided to learn about the applications functions, I was blown away by the possibilities. In a nutshell, Evernote is an app the boasts about being better than your memory. It allows you to make notes (both audio, visual, and typed), organize those notes into notebooks. The individual notes can also be date, time, AND LOCATION stamped. Finally, everything in stored in the cloud so they can be accessed from anywhere! I have a notebook for each of my children, all the subjects I teach in school, and a random notebook for those pieces of life that are really better being left in chaos. Evernote allows you to share notes and notebooks too. WOW!

The best thing about Evernote is that it can be anywhere you are. I have Evernote on my home computer, the iPad, my school computer, AND my cell phone! All of my info is synched, and all I have to do is log into Evernote to access a note or notebook. Hence the reason I titled this NO MORE FLASHDRIVES! Yes, Evernote allows you to link Word docs, PowerPoints, Keynotes, etc.

The title also says NO MORE CORDS! Let me explain...I HATE connecting cords from my cell phone and camera to my computer to download my pictures only for me to then upload them to a developing place. With Evernote, you no longer need the cord AND the picture you take with your really awesome cell phone is available to you from any device! Isn't that wild?!? Here's the simple directions:
1. Open Evernote on your phone (assuming you have already downloaded Evernote on your phone)
2. Click snapshot
3. Snap picture
4. Title and Save your picture
5. WOOLA...now the pic is in your camera roll or gallery on your device AND Evernote which can be access from anywhere!

You can even annotate your photo with voice recordings, but I don't want to overwhelm you. I'll save that for another day. For now, download Evernote on all your devices, and go to EVERNOTE.com and watch their videos. It is simply AMAZING!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've had Evernote for a while on all my devices as well. I haven't played with it much. I'll have to take a second look when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete